This article gives you, a business owner or representative with access to the primary business phone number, the ability to update the Yahoo listing for the business for free.
The Yahoo Directory has gone through a lot of changes in the last few years. Yahoo no longer manages it directly, they have outsourced the entire directory to another company under the Localworks brand. When that change was made we all lost the ability to update our directory listings unless we paid a company with a relationship with Yahoo. Since then, however, a method to update it for free has reappeared.
Here are the steps to get to the free Yahoo business listing.
- Go to Yahoo and search for the business by name: http://yahoo.com
- In the Yahoo Business Callout Box you will see a link that states: "Verify your listing"... click that link
- Be aware that you are on a website run by Yext and by entering the business phone number and contact information you are agreeing to be contacted by the Yext Sales department, which generally calls within an hour during the work week. There is no need to buy a service from Yext.
- In needed, enter the appropriate business information in the popup box.
- You will then see a Yext page with a bunch of information that shows status on a bunch of directory websites. Ignore all of that and click "Continue"
- Next, you can update the information on the business listing. Complete everything on this page. Use the standard name, address, and phone number for the business. Then click "Continue"
- You will then be presented with several paid plan options. There is a tiny link on the page that will state something like: "Claim your Basic Listing on Yahoo"... Click on that link.
- You are now on the "Yahoo Basic Listing Checkout" page. Complete the checkout process (It is free) and click "Place Order"
- Yext will send an email to the email address you provided in the form for the business. Open the link to create an account and then log in to the account.
- Now, go through the business verification process. Several options will generally be provided to you. The easiest and fastest method is to have Yext call the business number.
- Once you are a verified representative of the business the listing updates will be published.
That's it, you have successfully taken ownership of and updated the Yahoo Directory listing for the business for free.
There are 11 Local Business Listings you need to claim and keep up to date to rank well in search and attract customers. Get the full list and set of instructions by becoming a member!
You can also look at these other How To's and Guides about Local Listings: