Okay, I get it, it's time to start figuring out how to advertise on Facebook and drive people to your website. Let me walk you through the Ad setup process. This article assumes that you are using Facebook Business Manager and that you want to create a display ad that sends people to a website. There are other places where you can create Ads to boost posts and promote pages (to name just two) and we're not covering those here.
Facebook Ad Goal
- Create an Ad on Facebook to promote a product or course or download
- That brings people to the website
- So that I can convert them to leads or customers
Facebook Ad Setup Instructions
- Go to Business Manager: https://business.facebook.com/
- Select the Ad Account you want to use
- Select "Create Campaign"
- Choose a Name
- Choose an Objective
Note: We choose conversions whenever possible. This requires code to be on your website that tracks the conversion. You can select Traffic as well, but Facebook will focus on visitors instead of conversions
- Choose a name for the new Ad Group that will be used for this campaign
- Choose a name for the first Ad you want to create
- Click "Save to Draft"
- View the Ad Set settings
- Select the conversion event you want to use for tracking (You can create a new one here if you haven't used it before)
- Select a budget and schedule for the entire Ad Set
- Select or create an audience for the Ad Set
- Now select the Placements where Facebook can show the ad
- Next we recommend that you take control of the Bid Amount for the Ad Set so that Facebook doesn't go crazy and spend your money in the next 3 hours. This is what allows you to experiment cheaply at the start and increase spending if you find a winning ad.
- Save your Ad Set
- Now move to the Ad tab
- Edit your new ad by clicking the "Edit" link under its name
- Choose the image to show
- Enter the Website URL
- Now go through the rest of the page and setup the copy for the ad. You're going to want to create a bunch of duplicates and vary the copy and post text and images, so don't worry about creating the right one the first time. We can rely on performance data to tell us which copy works the best.
- Finish up by saving your draft ad.
- Now, confirm that your Ad is ready to run and Facebook will start targeting your audience.